COMING IN JULY!
An Introduction to MOTIVATIONAL INTERVIEWING
This is a course that will take place over five weeks, It includes two hours per week of lecture, discussion and role playing in an interactive online format (Zoom) and requires that participants have access to a computer with a camera and microphone and a reliable internet.
We will meet each Wednesday in July (1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd, and 29th, from 5 to 7 p.m., EDT).
In their pivotal work, Motivational Interviewing: Helping People Change (2009), Miller and Rollnick defined motivational interviewing as “A collaborative, person-centered form of guiding to elicit and strengthen motivation to change.” Motivational interviewing (MI) has been recognized by many professionals as a powerful tool that engages individuals in working through their difficult issues to arrive at decisions that are in their own best interest. It is used by counselors, medical professionals, teachers, and many other professionals not only to help their clients, but to help themselves learn to be more effective in listening effectively to what is said, and what is not said to gain understanding, compassion, and an ability to see the world from the perspective of the client.
Motivational interviewing can be learned by anyone wishing to gain more insight into others and to help their loved ones, family, friends, clients, community members, fellow workers, etc.
OBJECTIVES: Upon completion of this course participants will be able to do the following:
- State and explain the spirit of MI.
- State and explain the elements of MI
- State and explain the four fundamental processes of MI
- State and explain the use of OARS (Open-ended questions, Affirmation, Reflective statements, and Summarizing).
- Control their desire to offer advice in order to allow interviewees to find their own answers to their problems.
- Think of themselves as guides to interviewee self-awareness
- Listen to identify change talk
- Provide appropriate feedback
- Challenge individuals to become motivated to change
$200 per person
MINIMUM OF 20 PARTICIPANTS MUST REGISTER OR CLASS WILL BE CANCELLED AND PAYMENTS REFUNDED
TO COMPLETE YOUR REGISTRATION: Please send an email to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Use the subject heading “Motivational Interviewing Class.” Provide your first name, last name, email address, and phone number. You must click on the BUY NOW button below and pay in advance.
* * * * *